You are here

How do I remove inaccurate information from my credit report, even if I have never filed bankruptcy?

The Bankruptcy Court does not report to the credit reporting agencies. The Bankruptcy Court has no control over credit reporting agencies.

The bankruptcy petition, schedules and other documents are public record and are available at the Clerk's Office and online through PACER with an account (see for more information). Credit reporting agencies regularly collect information from the petitions filed, and report the information on their credit reporting services.

You can request your credit report at no charge from each of the three reporting bureaus by visiting (however, you will have to pay to see your credit score).

The three credit reporting agencies are:

Equifax Information Services LLC
(800) 829-4577

TransUnion LLC
(800) 888-4213

(800) 311-4769

If your credit report indicates that you have filed bankruptcy, but you have never filed bankruptcy in Oregon, you can request a document that states you have never filed a bankruptcy case in Oregon. This document is called a Certificate of Negative Filing. (You may want to contact the credit reporting agency first to determine if this is a document that they will accept from you.) To request a Certificate of Negative Filing, please mail a letter, with your full name and social security number, along with the certification fee of $11.00 and a self-addressed stamped envelope, to the Bankruptcy Court. If no record of a bankruptcy is found for you, the court will mail the Certificate of Negative Filing back to you.

There are a number of educational publications that the Federal Trade Commission has on its website ( to help consumers address credit and financial issues.

For Debtor