You are here

Is there any place I can get free or low cost legal advice before I file?

Here are a few possibilities to consider:

1. The Oregon State Bar has a Lawyer Referral program which will direct you to an attorney who has agreed to provide limited consultation at reduced rates. The Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Program can be contacted by calling 503-684-3763 in the Portland metropolitan area or 1-800-452-7636 if calling from other areas.

2. Multnomah, Yamhill, Washington, Clackamas & Columbia Counties - If you are low income and live in Multnomah, Yamhill, Washington, Clackamas or Columbia Counties, you can call the legal aid office for your county and, if you meet the income and asset guidelines, they will schedule you for an appointment to meet with a volunteer lawyer immediately after you attend one of the Bankruptcy Clinic classes described below.

In Multnomah or Yamhill County: Call Multnomah County Legal Aid Service at (503) 224-4086.

In Washington, Clackamas or Columbia County: Call Oregon Legal Services (Hillsboro office) at (503)-648-7163.

3. The Debtor-Creditor Section of the Oregon State Bar in cooperation with Legal Aid has a Bankruptcy Clinic. Anyone who is thinking about filing a consumer chapter 7 can come to the class but only those low income people who have separately made an appointment through the Legal aid office will receive individual help from their volunteer attorney after the class. For further information on the Bankruptcy Clinic, click here.

For Debtor
For General Public