Here are a few possibilities to consider:
1. The Oregon State Bar has a lawyer referral program which will direct you to an attorney who has agreed to provide limited consultation at reduced rates. The Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Program can be contacted by calling 503-684-3763 in the Portland metropolitan area or 1-800-452-7636 if calling from other areas.
2. If you are low income and live in one of the counties listed below, you can call the legal aid office for your county. If you meet the income and asset guidelines, you will receive an appointment to meet with a volunteer lawyer.
- Clackamas, Columbia, Hood River, Multnomah, Wasco, Washington, and Yamhill counties: Call (503) 224-4086 or (800) 228-6958 (Portland Regional Office of Legal Aid Services of Oregon)
- Lane County: Call (541) 485-1017 ext. 340 (Lane County Legal Aid/Oregon Law Center)
- Crook, Deschutes, and Jefferson counties: Call (541) 385-6950 or (800) 678-6944 (Central Oregon Office of Legal Aid Services of Oregon)
- Gilliam, Morrow, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, and Wheeler counties: Call (541) 276-6685 or (800) 843-1115 (Pendleton Regional Office of Legal Aid Services of Oregon)
3. The Debtor-Creditor Section of the Oregon State Bar, in cooperation with Legal Aid Services of Oregon, has a Bankruptcy Clinic. Anyone who is thinking about filing a consumer chapter 7 case can come to the class, but only those low income people who have separately made an appointment through the legal aid office will receive individual help from their volunteer attorney after the class. For further information on the Bankruptcy Clinic, click here.