You are here

How do I remove inaccurate information from my credit report, even if I have never filed bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy courts do not report or furnish information to any consumer reporting agencies. Moreover, the bankruptcy court is not responsible for verifying or validating information contained in consumers' credit reports.

The bankruptcy petition, schedules and other documents are public record and are available at the clerk's office and online through PACER with an account (see for more information). Credit reporting agencies regularly collect information from the petitions filed, and report the information on their credit reporting services.

You can request your credit report at no charge from each of the three reporting bureaus by visiting (however, you will have to pay to see your credit score).

The three credit reporting agencies are:

Equifax Information Services LLC
(800) 829-4577

TransUnion LLC
(800) 888-4213

(800) 311-4769

If your credit report indicates that you have filed bankruptcy but you have never filed bankruptcy in Oregon, you can request a document that states you have never filed a bankruptcy case in Oregon. This document is called a Certificate of Negative Filing. (You may want to contact the credit reporting agency first to determine if this is a document that they will accept from you.)

To request a Certificate of Negative Filing, mail a letter to the court requesting the certificate and include the following:

  • - Your full name,
  • - Your social security number,
  • - A certification fee of $12.00,
  • - A range of dates to be searched (note that a $34.00 records search may apply if the range of dates is not provided or if the range includes dates before 2004), and 
  • - A self-addressed stamped envelope.

If no record of a bankruptcy is found for you and the necessary fees are paid, the court will mail the Certificate of Negative Filing back to you.

For more information on how to disupte data on your credit report, you may visint the Federal Trade Commission's website ( or contact the FTC toll-free number at 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357).

For Debtor